Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Breadsticks

Tonight we had a super simple dinner of spaghetti. Steve likes it when we have bread to dip in the sauce. I never have enough time to make bread and I'm such a penny pincher I'm not going to buy it! So this recipe was a life saver and I'm disappointed I didn't try it sooner. The family I got it from has nicknamed them Banana Slugs. They really do look like them when you put them on the pan to cook, that's how you know you did it right :)

Combine in mixing bowl and let sit:
1 Tbs yeast
1 1/2 warm water
2 Tbs sugar

Mix in different bowl:
3 C flour
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic salt

Add flour to yeast mixture. Stir until dough is sticky but still workable. Let rest for 10 minutes. Melt 1 cube of butter in a shallow pan (I use a pie plate). Pinch off about a golf ball (maybe a touch bigger) size dough ball. Roll to about 4 inches long and roll in melted butter. Place all the bread sticks on a pan so they touch. You can sprinkle with a little more garlic salt and Parmesan. Let rise for 10-30 minutes. Bake at 475 for about 10 minutes.

*I just want to let you know these were the fluffiest things ever. I'm trying to watch my girlish figure but you'd think I'd laced these with drugs the way I couldn't stop scarfing them down! Also I used my kitchen mixer to mix the dough. It was way easy and I didn't get my hands all doughy.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Glad you liked them! And YAY for getting it right! Most people add more flour cause they think it's too sticky. BUT- it's the lesser amount of flour that makes them so fluffy... So darn easy, and fast!