Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pizza



Who doesn't love pizza? It's so versatile. You can top it with whatever you want. This is for the crust. You should feel pretty special because I'm pretty tight lipped about this one. My BFF Mark developed this recipe from lots of trial and error. It can be made by hand or with a mixer, such as a Bosch (I heart my Bosch). I love this recipe, I'm all about eating the foods I love but I love more knowing the quality of ingredients that goes into my food. This is also WAY cheaper than even buying a $5 pizza.

2 C hot water
2 Tbs yeast
2 Tbs Italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4+ C flour

1. Combine water and yeast in mixing bowl and let sit while you combine Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and sugar.
2. If doing this by hand place 2 cups of flour in a sifter with seasonings on top, sift into yeast mixture. If using a mixer just dump it all and turn on the mixer.
3. After a slurry is made add two more cups of flour, again if doing this by hand use a sifter, it makes it easier to mix. This will take a little arm strength, but it's worth it.
4. Mix dough until no linger sticky, you may have to add up to a cup more flour
5. Cover and let rise for about 30 mins. I set it on top of my stove that is preheating.
6. Divide dough into two equal parts. Sprinkle work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out and top with sauce, cheese and toppings of your liking. Cook at 400 for 14 mins.

* A few tips: Sprinkle cooking pan with cornmeal to prevent sticking. You can leave out the seasonings just be sure to still add the salt and sugar. I usually make one pizza and use the other dough for bread sticks.

No comments: