Sunday, October 11, 2009

Candied Butternut Squash

I am a big fan of vegetables and all sorts of things that are good for you. However, I HATE sweet potatoes. They are full of great vitamins and such. Since I always miss out on the candied yams and sweet potato casserole I decided to make it out of butternut squash. It's just a better flavor for me. This one Steve really liked, I think it may have to do with the brown sugar.

  • 1 2 1/4-pound butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place squash in 9x12-inch glass baking dish. Drizzle with butter; toss to coat. Blend sugar, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves in small bowl; mix into squash. Bake until squash is tender and syrup bubbles thickly in dish, stirring gently every 15 minutes, about 50 minutes total.

No comments: