Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dinner in a Pumpkin

This is a seasonal favorite in our house. Every October we break it out. Steve loves it. The meat mixture is infused with the taste of the pumpkin while it cooks in the oven. So fun and so good. My only beef is the water chestnuts. I wish I could think of something else to use, just for a little variety. I don't mind them but something else might be fun too, what do you think?

1 large pumpkin large enough to fit the following:
1 onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef, cooked
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs brown sugar
1- 4oz can mushrooms (optional)
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
2 cups cooked rice
1- 8oz can sliced water chestnuts

Clean out your pumpkin and move your oven rack down. Start the rice. Heat a skillet and saute onion for 5 minutes and brown the beef. Combine cooked meat with all other ingredients and mix well, let heat through and fill up your pumpkin. Bake at 375 30 mins to 1 hour.

* The longer this cooks the softer the pumpkin will get. I like it a little soft but not to where it falls apart. I'm not gonna lie I've had gooey pumpkin on the bottom of my oven before so put it on a cookie sheet to bake!

No comments: