Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Red Candy Apples

This was the first time I tried this. It was totally out of desperation. It was the morning of my son's preschool Halloween party. I had NO candy. Just a bunch of leftover apples. I looked this up online and found I had everything. I held my breath as I started. I have heard horror stories. Amazingly enough there were no incidents. I think the trick is to be patient, don't try to rush it! Another important note: you need a candy thermometer, it's a must with this.



8-10 apples washed dried and stemmed
  1. Corn syrup (1/2 cup)
    • Use light corn syrup if you want to color your coating.
  2. Sugar (2 cups)
  3. Water (3/4 cup)
  4. Food coloring (if desired), (1/2 tsp)
Prep: Butter a cookie sheet. Put sticks in the bottom of your apples.

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Start to heat over medium-high heat, stay on the lower side of medium. Stir to dissolve sugar. You want all the sugar to dissolve before it starts to boil.

Once it's dissolved bring to a low boil. Keep it at the same heat, it will continue to get hotter. DO NO STIR!! Just let it go by itself. I kept coming back to make sure it wasn't morphing into a red monster or boiling all over my stove, it was fine.

Keep an eye on your thermometer and take the candy to 290 that's a soft crunch stage. Once it gets there take the candy off the heat and roll your apples around to coat and set on the cookie sheet to cool. They are ready to eat in just a couple minutes. Seriously they are beautiful and look impressive. Good luck!

*If you want to take it up one, right after you roll in hot candy you can roll the apples in nuts, candy, crunched up cookies, really anything that you think would taste good with your apple.
Recipe found on www.mahalo.com

No comments: