Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hawaiian Haycstacks

This is a Utah staple. My mom was here visiting and saw this on the school lunch menu, she said "Hawaiian Haystacks?!" Like what the heck? I was introduced to this delicacy my freshman year at USU, thanks to my roomie, Kim. I have seen this done a million different ways but of course I like mine the best. It just so happens it's Kim's way too.

2-3 chicken breasts cooked and chopped (or you can use canned chicken, blah)
1 1/2 c rice
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 large tomato chopped
1 can olives sliced
2 c cheese (cheddar is my favorite)
1 can pineapple tidbits drained
1 bag chow mien noodles

Cook rice in 3 cups boiling water. You may want to add a bullion cube for a little extra flavor (that's a secret of mine so hush!). Cook on low for 20 mins, perfect rice 99% of the time. Mix the cream of chicken soup with a can of milk or water. Bring to a simmer. Now, to assemble (Steve always gets confused at this part): Chow mien noodles, rice, chicken, cheese, gravy, then the toppings like the olives, tomatoes, and pineapple. There are a bunch of other things you could use as toppings. Feel free to suggest some, I'm always up for something new.

*This makes GREAT leftovers, especially for lunch ;)

No comments: