Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Swiss Turkey Burgers with Onions

As you know Steve LOVES hamburgers. He is leaving for a business trip in the morning so because I love him I made turkey burgers for dinner. It was only after the first bite when he said "Mmmm these are good" did he know it was turkey. I also made my famous oven fries.

1 lb ground turkey
Salt
1/2-1 Tbs grill seasoning
plain bread crumbs (you may not need these)
1 onion sliced
4-6 slices of Swiss cheese
4 buns

Combine turkey, salt , and spices, the amounts above are just guesses. I always season to taste unless I'm baking or have never made the dish before. The bread crumbs would be added now too, but only add them if your turkey is having trouble staying together, this helps to soak up some moisture.
Heat a Tbs oil in a small nonstick pan over medium heat and add onions. Let them caramelize while burgers work.
Cook burgers on a griddle or grill. 5-6 minutes each side. Be sure the burgers are cook all the way through, it's poultry, I don't want any sickies!
When done place cheese on the burgers and cover with foil, let stand until cheese is gooey and melty. Serve topped with onions. I personally like the spicy brown mustard on this one, no ketchup please.

No comments: