Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mostly Green Curry Chicken Over Coconut Jasmine Rice

This is one of my all time favorites! Have I said that before? Anyway I guess the concept escaped me until I had real Thia food. Now I get how it's suppose to taste and suppose to be like, divine! I made a couple modifications to Rachael Ray's recipe mostly because I just didn't have the stuff on hand. Here is my version:

1 1/2 c chicken broth
1- 13 1/2 oz can coconut milk
1 c jasmine rice
3 Tbs vegetable oil
2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1 green bell pepper sliced thin
1 medium onion sliced thin
1 c frozen peas
1 3-inch piece of grated ginger (I used powdered and just kept going til it tasted good)

In a sauce pot start 1 c chicken broth with 1/4 c coconut milk to boil. Add Jasmine rice and cook for 15-18 mins or until tender. Turn heat off and let sit until ready to serve.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 Tbs oil and add chicken pieces. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken on all sides then remove from pan.

Add last Tbs oil and add the onions, and green pepper. Cook just until the vegetables start to get tender. Then add the rest of the coconut milk and 1/2 c chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add chicken back in and simmer for another 2 minutes. Add peas and let simmer just long enough to heat them through.

Serve over coconut rice. Try not to gorge.

*This is sooooo good. I love it cause you can make it more spicy or less, depending on what you like. There were other things in Rachael's recipe that I left out but I'm sure they would only improve the flavor. Like garlic, what couldn't garlic improve?

No comments: